Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Letters

When am doing family history research, I love it when I find a journal or diary.  Grandma Vernie didn't keep a journal, but she did write letters.  And Mom saved all those letters.  One of the many projects she had started was to put the letters in chronological order in a binder.  I am finding many more letters stashed in different files, as well as many letters and cards written to Vernie.  So I think I will finish this project.  The only thing I will add is also the letters to Vernie from her relatives and friends. 

My cousin, Diane, also a granddaughter of Vernie asked if I had seen a letter from Granddad Bailey to Vernie written shortly before he died in 1960.  I had not seen it, but would look for it as I gathered her letters.  Today I found it.  I'm pretty sure it is the one as it was in the envelope postmarked April 1960 and it also had a newspaper clipping of his obituary tucked into the envelope. 

Here is the letter: 

It was good to talk to you for a few minutes the other night. I am glad that I'll get to come home one more time before going to Fresno. We can still meet in Frisco. I miss John and his poppa and momma too.

Will stop for now. Threre's not much to write about here either. Maybe the weather will be better tomorrow. Its always nice in Eureka because you are there.

Always your
Bailey

Sweetheart your simple minded husband - went to the Episcopal Church as planned ecxept that I didn't set my time up and arrived at noon, so I came back to my room. It is real cloudy. I hate to go out it is so cloudy but guess I had better get his mailed and I may need a bite to eat but I'm not really hungry, would be I think if I had you to eat with me. I'll be seeing you. Goodbye now.
RB
 

No comments:

Post a Comment